Friday, January 27, 2012

Hospitality Rest

I'm not a fan of parties or any kind of large social event. Crowds - I can handle those. I just blend in and no one notices me. But oh my, do not put me into a room full of folks and tell me to mingle. I can do it. I can turn on the smile and cue the polite small talk, but at the end of the event I am absolutely exhausted.

I love people though, I crave time with people, particularly "my" people. I rest when I'm with them in small settings, just me and the other person. These past few weeks I've had the opportunity to spend time with some of "my" people. And it was truly restful. I went to see a friend last weekend and loved my time with her family, but the best moments were the early morning hours when she was feeding her 3 month old and it was just the three of us on her couch. Sweet conversation. Restful conversation.

Sometimes I think we buy into the idea that we have to "get away" to truly rest. Here are some of my favorite places to escape to:


Asheville, North Carolina - near where I grew up.





Topsail Island, North Carolina - inland waterway


Getting away for a weekend or even a long vacation certainly has a place in life - sweet rest can be found in those times too.

But what if you could "get away" in your own home?


Or provide a "get away" for someone else? 

Hence... hospitality rest.

Are your heart and your home places that invite your people to rest? Can they breathe a sigh of relief when they sit with you? Do you breathe a sigh of relief when you sit with them? 

I am blessed to have friends who do this for me. I can let my guard down, talk about anything, or say nothing at all and just... rest. With the hurried lives we lead in this 21st century we need to create time and space for this kind of rest - for ourselves and for others. 

Nothing gives me more joy that opening my little home to others. I am giddy that another friend is on her way today. She's been providing a lot of support to her family lately and she needs to "get away." I will wash the sheets, stock the fridge, vacuum, and dust. She will rest well in my little house. But more importantly, I will pray for our time together and in doing so create a comfortable place for her soul to rest and recharge. 

How do you create hospitality rest for yourself and others?

No comments:

Post a Comment