Friday, February 10, 2012

Spring and Changes

I am a big fan of winter for many reasons. The cold air feels clean. Soups, chili, and oatmeal become meal time staples. Snow blankets everything with quietness. The shorter days make the evenings long and cozy. It is a much needed time of rest after a busy summer and fall. It's the time of year when it is ok to slow down and spend more time at home.



So this year has been a bit strange. I think I may have missed my wonderful winter. The dogwood and Bradford pear in my yard have buds - buds I tell you! In February! I have not worn my cozy sweaters. The frozen yogurt shop is packed with customers. I have to turn the air conditioning on in my car in the afternoon.

What is going on?

In the middle of this accelerated change in seasons, I have also sensed accelerated change in my life. I've been praying for nearly three years for something to change in my circumstances - often missing what I could have been learning about trust and waiting. It's been like staying in Winter.

But over the past few months the Winter of my heart has melted. I feel alive again and new life has been budding inside me. So perhaps the trees in my front yard are a reminder of the internal. As the season of my heart has changed, the circumstances of my life are also changing. Isn't that always the way? When we finally realize we should embrace whatever season we're in and trust the internal work that needs to happen - well then that's when the external seems to follow.


So instead of wondering about the weather I think I'll let it be a reminder of the hope and promise of Spring. Maybe it's not early, maybe it's right on time.

No comments:

Post a Comment