Thursday, October 18, 2012

Day Eighteen: Found in Faith


I spent most of the day riding around a very rural and draw-droppingly beautiful county near where I grew up. My dad has been wanting to visit an old family cemetery. He attended decoration, dinner, and singing-on-the-grounds every since he could remember up until some time in the 1980s when the older family members had all passed. 

It was a lovely trip listening to family stories and connecting to my heritage. 

Before we left this morning I was feeling rather squirrely about my life and thankfully God led me to Hebrews 11 and 12. Talk about connecting to my heritage. Thank you Lord for the heritage of faith that still lives in these pages of your Word.

It all spoke to me, but here’s what ended up scribbled hurriedly in my journal (like the Word was going anywhere) - oh, and the italics are of course my emphasis though in my journal they are in bold, sometimes underlined, occasionally boxed in and starred like a cinema sign:

“Abraham went to the land of his inheritance though he did not know where he was going…made his home like a stranger in the promised land”

“they welcomed the promises from a distance

“Moses chose to be mistreated”

“regarded disgrace for the sake of Christ as of greater value”

“He left Egypt, not fearing”

“he persevered because he saw him who was invisible

“whose weakness was turned to strength”

“run with perseverance the race marked out for us”

“let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our…..

FAITH

So this cemetery was beautiful and there is host of my family’s heritage there. I’m already establishing my own story in that heritage and the one in His Word. They are the same.

He called me home though I was not sure what I would find.
He whispered His promises to me and I welcomed them.
I’ve been mistreated along the way.
Many days I have regarded the disgrace of my circumstances of greater value.
I was fearless when I left.
I have persevered because I have seen Him who is invisible.
My weaknesses are becoming strengths because that’s what He does.
My race has already been marked out for me.
My eyes are fixed on Jesus. Yes they are in this moment.

And in the moments when they are not, He lovingly lifts my head again. Because He is the author and the perfecter of MY…

FAITH


No comments:

Post a Comment